Trendnet TEW-824DRU compatible?

Hello,
I have a Trendnet TEW824DRU which is essentially the same hardware as TEW823DRU, the latter which is supported by OpenWrt. IIRC, the only difference between the 2 was software. My question is, can the OpenWrt 823DRU build be loaded on 824DRU?

TIA

Since you are are FirstPoster, I'm assuming you would have liked to add these links, but couldn't yet:

You could have added: "ath79 Qualcomm Atheros QCA9558 , Qualcomm Atheros QCA9880-BR4A, 16MiB Flash"

1 Like

Regarding whether a cross flash would work, only someone with the device in hand can answer that.

Connect to the serial uart and boot an initramfs from uboot to see what works and what doesn’t

1 Like

Since the router doesn't have much value, I went ahead and flashed 823 openwrt on 824 which no surprise ended up in a softbrick which recovered without issue. After further research, it appears the 824DRU and 823DRU are the same hardware however Trendnet apparently changed order of linux and rootfs in the firmware. Anyone feel like compiling firmware? :wink: Unfortunately I'm not setup nor have time so I'll look at other options. Thank you to everyone for the replies.

Yeah same hardware doesn’t mean same partition layout. That means a new dts and image is needed.

Not really that hard if you want to give it a go

1 Like